archive News on Blue Gum Farm
(Daddy Long Legs pictured above taking out the 2012 UAE Derby in brilliant fashion).
One of the numerous qualities we saw in Turffontein when we acquired him to stand at Blue Gum Farm in 2010 was versatility. In terms of versatility he showed plenty being a highly talented two year old who continued to develop throughout his racing career, he proved himself to be a top class sprinter winning Group 1 events over 1200m & 1400m, competing on firm tracks or wet tracks, settling on the speed or off the speed.
This versatility is a common characteristic of the Johannesburg sire line and this continues to be evident through the deeds of US Stallion Scat Daddy. Scat Daddy was the leading Freshman Sire in the US in 2011 and he is continuing his strong start to his stud career as he currently sits on top of the 2nd Season Sire List.
Over the past two weekends Scat Daddy has continued to assert himself as a serious stallion and continue to display the great talents of the Johannesburg Sire Line. In recent times Scat Daddy has produced a couple of highly talented three years old in the form of Daddy Nose Best whom last weekend won impressively in the G3 Sunland Derby over 1800m and at the weekend where all eyes were on Dubai it was Daddy Long Legs who won the G2 UAE Derby over 1900m. In the process both colts staked there claim for the 2012 Kentucky Derby.
Turffontein and Scat Daddy were both Dual G1 Winning entires and when you consider the following facts it's easy to see why such a sire line continues to excel but also importantly on Australian shores why you should consider using Turffontein before he becomes the next chapter in the Johannersburg sire line success story.
- Johannesburg himself was unbeaten World Champion Juvenile in 2001
- Turffontein presents a truly unique opportunity for breeders as he represents an unbroken sire-line of six Group 1 winners, tracing through Johannesburg, Hennessy (USA), Storm Cat (USA), Storm Bird (USA) and Northern Dancer (CAN).
- Scat Daddy was 2011 US Leading First Crop Sire, leader in earnings, winners, Stakes Winners, Group Winners, Stakes Performers
- Scat Daddy's impressive first crop stats, 64 runners, 29 winners, 5 Stakes Winners, 3 Group Winners, 11 Stakes performers, progeny earnings of $1,521,410
- Versatile first crop performers who have won on Turf and Dirt, 1000m - 1600m
- Highlight 1st Crop performers included Daddy Long Legs 3-1/4 Length victor of the G2 Royal Lodge Stakes at Newmarket, Finale whom was a breathtaking 10-1/2Length victor of the Listed Monmouth Continental Mile Stakes and also won the G3 Woodbine Summer Stakes, Shared Property winner of the G3 Arlington-Washington Futurity Stakes.
- Scat Daddy was the leading US Sire for 2YO Winners, had the most Stakes Winning 2YO's, most Stakes performed 2YO's and was placed 3rd overall on earnings
- Scat Daddy's success on the race track transformed to the breeding barn, covering some 191 mares in 2011
- Scat Daddy is currently the Leading US Second Crop Sire with horses the calibre of Daddy Long Legs and Daddy Nose Best headed towards the 2012 Kentucky Derby
Compelling stats, make sure you are a statistic when Turffontein begins his ascent up Australian Sire Lists.